The outdoor recreation and adventure radio show and podcast about backcountry news and activities, like camping, backpacking, skiing, and snowshoeing.
You can contribute reports about your own outings, local wilderness areas, and conditions. Find out how.
Listener comment line:
Help us help more people to discover our wild public lands.
The WildeBeat is a public benefit project of the Earth Island Institute, a 501(c)3 nonprofit corporation.
Most popular editions:
The directories, review sites, or other podcasters listed below have recognized The WildeBeat for its quality of content and production.
As featured in an interview on the main page of
As featured in the June/July 2006 issue of the magazine
Discussion of Scared Indoors
In response to our two-part program, Scared Indoors, we saw quite a bit of lively discussion in various forums online...
- Tom Managan called-in a comment which we played in our edition number 127, Scared Indoors, part 2.
- Tom Mangan posted two entries on his hiking blog, Two Heel Drive, the first of which, News media scaring common folks away from the backcountry?, attracted some entertaining discussion. The second one is titled, Fear of the wilderness, cont.
- Tom Chandler, in his Trout Underground blog, commented himself on the show and on Tom Mangan's posts in his article, Do the Media Hype Wilderness Dangers, Keeping People Indoors? Some very amusing, if sometimes off-topic, discussion erupted there.
- The Trailspace Blog also also commented in their article, Scared Indoors: Does the Media Affect Outdoor Interest? Their forum pages also hosted a more lively discussion in, Great discussion of "Extreme Outdoors in the Media."
- In the Inside Outdoor Retailer blog, which is the official blog of the Outdoor Retailer trade shows, they followed-up on the Trout Underground commentary in their piece, IS THE MEDIA KEEPING PEOPLE INDOORS?
- Another thoughtful post on the subject, titled simply Scared, can be found at the People and Nature Journal, authored by "Steven" of Middleburg, Virginia.
- The most active, and perhaps weirdest discussion of the topic was on the forums for Fly Fisherman Magazine. (And many of these postings are not particularly appropriate for workplaces or children.) Their discussion, Scared Inside, is a follow-up to the discussion on the Trout Underground site.
The goal of our piece was to start a conversation. An toward that end, we appear to have had at least a small effect.
We'd love it if more of these commentators called-in their comments to our toll-free comment line, so that you could hear their voices on Vox WildeBeat.